Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Can I Help You?

As a gardener, there are times when I need to make a run to the local garden center and/or discount super store to grab some plants. At some point while zipping through the aisles looking for the perfect specimen, another customer inevitably come to me and says, "Excuse me, where can I find Plant So-and-So?" I politely say, "Oh! I don't work here." That's when they suddenly notice (and actually start with surprise) that I'm not wearing the store's uniform or colors, and that I am, in face, wearing the shirt and logo of my own company. It usually happens that I've been around the store a few times, so I remember where I saw Plant So-and-So and can direct the bewildered and slightly embarrassed customer in the right direction.

I am amazed at how often this happens to me - three times in one store on one occasion. It's even more amazing at a certain home improvement superstore...do you see a violent orange apron or orange of any kind on me anywhere?! It makes me laugh inside every time. I guess I must really look like I know what I'm doing!

So the question is: What are the identifying characteristics of a garden center employee? After some thinking, comparisons, cross-checking and the process of elimination, I've compiled a list. It could be a fun social experiment!

How to be Mistaken for a Garden Center Employee
Essentials:
1. Wear a polo shirt - any color
2. Carry a clipboard full of papers. Consult it often.
3. Push a cart loaded with plants - many of one variety is preferable
4. Give an air of a person on a mission

Not Necessary but Really Adds to the Effect:
1. Have noticeable dirt smeared on your face and clothes.
2. Wear a pair of sunglasses on the top of your head.
3. Have messy, wind-blown hair. Guys - hat hair or rumpled resembling bed head. Gals - messy pony tail or braid falling out.
4. Stick a pen/pencil behind your ear or in your hair. Use it when consulting your clipboard.

So, head on down to your local garden center / home improvement superstore and see how many people come to you for answers!

1 comment:

  1. I love your list of "How to be Mistaken for a Garden Center Employee"..It's pretty cool that even without the orange apron people ask you where things are in a store.. That is so awesome!! Your photos are gorgeous btw!!

    ReplyDelete