Monday, December 10, 2012

So much for that idea

Well, I was going to share some photos with you now that I have finally broken free of my blogospheric black hole, but apparently I am "currently using 100% of [my] 1 GB quota for photos" according to the Google-Picasa-Blogger Triumvirate. And I'm too cheap to buy more memory.

This is especially frustrating since I had a good idea for the next few posts all thought out and I am actually motivated to put them together, unlike the last three or four months of blogging drought.

So, I am going to figure out what to do now. I know a good number of my photos are high resolution/pixel count which I'm sure is what's taking up the space. Is there a way to go back and reduce the resolution? But, man, that would take a long time: figuring out which of the multiple photos I used in every post, making a lower resolution copy of every one of those photos on my hard drive, going through every post and switching out every photo...ugh.

I am also entertaining the possibility of changing to a different blog host, with some kind of link to the posts here on Blogger. Since this thought is something that just came to me while typing, it will require some more research.

Do any of you have any suggestions about what to do? Is it possible/realistic to reduce existing photo resolution? What other blogging sites would you suggest I check out?

I never thought I would use 1 GB of memory so quickly. :(

6 comments:

  1. I'd recommend LiveJournal, but anti-Russian-rebel-hackers have taken to hacking it to the point of being a waste of cyberspace.

    How do you figure out how much photo space you've used? I put pictures in my posts for book covers and such, so that'd be nice to know before I post a whole series' worth of covers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A message window popped up when I was trying to upload a photo, of course with the offer to purchase more memory. It was such a bummer! But there was no warning that I was approaching the limit. I don't know how to find out how much you've used.

      Delete
    2. Try this:
      make a new post
      but use THE BUTTON THAT SAYS HTML
      not the one that says Compose.
      Now pretend you want to upload an image: a box appears and at the bottom it tells you how much you have used.
      Let me know how you get on.

      Delete
    3. Hi Aprille, thanks for the advice. I actually found the Picassa folder for all my blog pictures, and deleted the ones I knew weren't being used, and that opened up a lot of memory. But what you suggested will be an easy way to keep track of how much memory I have left!

      Delete
  2. Hi there! Thanks for commenting on my blog today so I could find yours.

    I'm surprised you didn't get a warning, they sent one to my email when I was getting close. You can find out what percentage of your storage you're using by going here: https://www.google.com/settings/account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danger! I always enjoy your blog, and I am completely envious of what you can grow!

      Now that I think of it, I have a vague memory of getting an email about running out of room. Suppose I should have paid attention!

      Delete