Thursday, July 21, 2011

Feathers and Fluff

It is amazing just how much wildlife I get to see while gardening. Here is just a sample of the critters I hang around with...or who hang around me.

Chickadee leisurely eating our super hollyhock seeds.

Do you know how hard it is to get a picture of a hummingbird?! Sometimes they fly, ahem, zoom right past my head and scare me half to death.



My mosquito control.

 I don't know what kind of caterpillars these are, but I love how fuzzy they are.
Update: Feb 11, 2012. I have since found out what these guys are: Milkweed Tussock Caterpillars (Euchaetes egle), and they become Milkweed Tussock Moths. It seems rather disappointing that such a crazy looking caterpillar becomes something so....ordinary.

 

 Although he has awesome camouflage, this caterpillar doesn't quite know how to blend in.

I love tree frogs! This is my wallpaper right now.

Did I mention I love tree frogs?

 and leopard frogs!

 The reason I have to use Liquid Fence. It's such a shame something so cute causes so much damage.

  I know it's hard to see, but there's a turkey in full fan in the center of this photo. One of my clients is in a wooded area, so I get to enjoy watching the turkeys in the spring and fall.

Why hello! This guy was sunning himself on my windshield.

I just followed this swallowtail around as he flitted among the Monarda.

  This sleepy bee is resting after gorging himself on the roses.

 Katydid or katydidn't?

 This cute little guy wasn't at a client's house, but I wanted to include him. I was sitting on a park bench and he hopped right up to me. Zoom was not needed.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer, I manage a community poetry blog called The Imaginary Garden with Real Toads and in searching for an image to use as our banner, I came across the picture of the tree frog in the white peony. I hope you do not mind that I have cropped and used it, with attribution back to this site, as I am not sure what your policy is on copyright.

    Please visit us here http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/

    If you would prefer that the image be removed then I will immediately take it down. I can be contacted at this address: theimaginarygarden@gmail.com

    Kerry O'Connor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kerry, I don't mind at all! I'm flattered that you liked my photo! Thanks for visiting my blog, and I'll check out yours as well.

      Delete
    2. p.s. I love how you cropped it for the banner - super cute!

      Delete