Friday, March 25, 2011

The Grill Patio - 2010 Annual Containers

The Grill Patio

The Grill Patio is the final area at this home to discuss. The area is an interesting mix of sun and shade thanks to the roof line and the mature trees. The patio receives morning sun and the first few hours of afternoon sun. The family spends a good deal of time on this patio, either relaxing as a family or entertaining guests. There is an outdoor kitchen, from where I am taking the second photo. As a fun note, I learned that the color orange increases the appetite, so what better place to utilize it than near the grill! I didn't tell my client this little piece of trivia; I wonder if they ate more burgers and veggie kabobs this year?
June 9, 2010 - Week Three
September 7, 2010 - Week Sixteen
September 7, 2010 - Week Sixteen
Plant List
Ageratum 'Artist Blue'
Calibrachoa 'Superbells Pink'
Capsicum 'Black Pearl'
Coleus 'Sedona'
Crossandra 'Orange Marmalade'
Fuchsia 'Autumnale'
Lantana 'Bandana Cherry Sunrise'
Sedum 'Bertram Anderson'
Strobilanthes 'Persian Shield'

This is my new favorite color combination. Purple and orange are hot together. The Lantana has yellow, pink and orange all on one flower, so I decided to play up that color scheme. 

I would have never thought that pink and orange would work well together. I think this color scheme is a lesson in subtleties. The Fuchsia is mainly orange and yellow, but if you look closely there is a hint of pink, so the Calibrachoa draws out the pink hues. And, although Fuchsia 'Autumnale' is marketed as a foliage plant, I was delighted to discover it flowering at the end of June.
 

The Coleus, although decidedly orange, has purple veining on the top of the leaf, and is entirely purple under the leaf, therefore the purple-leaved Capsicum and Sedum are perfect companions.

Now, as to the plants. I would go easy on the Lantana next time, and add one or two more Coleus - the one Coleus got overtaken by the Lantana. Also, since the surrounding garden plants and the forest in the background have so much green, the containers need a higher quantity of bold leaf color to keep them the center of attention.

I have had bad luck with Strobilanthes; one year it grew in multiple directions and was leggy, this year it barely made it over 8 inches high. Although I love the color and the leathery leaves, I won't use it again. The Ageratum did very well and never stopped blooming (until it got covered by the Lantana!) The Sedum also did well and the deep pink flowers were a nice addition. However, late in the summer it started to get shaded out by the over-abundance of Lantana and actually got powdery mildew. The Crossandra is a fascinating plant with wonderful shiny foliage and apricot-orange shrimp-shaped flowers. Definitely an eye-cather.
June 1, 2010 - Week Two
The Crossandra is in the back, left of the Strobilanthes.
Thank you for joining me on this tour of annual containers! I hope you have enjoyed it, and perhaps got some ideas for your own creations!

No comments:

Post a Comment