Saturday, April 9, 2011

untitled

With the exception of early spring bulbs like crocus, daffodils and tulips, it can be hard to tell if anything is growing at this time of year. The grass is starting to show signs of wanting to turn a shade of green again, but the trees are still bare and gardens are still brown, so we are left to wait for signs of life.

I decided to get on my hands and knees to see what might be hiding underneath the leaves and mulch. 
Here is what I found.

Sedum kamtschaticum
I love how they start out as little rosettes.

Hemerocallis sp.
These daylilies are the orange type that are commonly seen along roads. They are very ambitious growers. If you look away for a minute, you'll swear they grew at least two inches when you look back.

Heuchera
Since these coral bells were a gift it's hard to tell what cultivar they are. If I had to guess I'd say Palace Purple - ?

Phlox subdulata 'Emerald Blue'
Emerald Blue Creeping Phlox

Paeonia tenuifolia
Fern-leaf Peony - my favorite.

What's this? Could it be....a flower bud?!

Iris germanica
These Bearded Iris were also a gift so again I'm left to guess the name. The flower is the traditional soft blue.

Alcea sp.
Check out my previous post Super Hollyhocks! It's amazing how something that starts out this little can grow to be so tall!

Rhubarb - yum!

Salix discolor
Pussy Willow
Acer saccharinum
Silver Maple flowers are really quite beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment