Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Peonies of Eugene Lins - Part 2

A recent trip to The Lins Peony Garden produced these photos of the mid-season blooming peonies. For more info on The Lins Peony Garden and pics of the early bloomers, click here, or hop to the tab at the top of the page. Enjoy!

Casablanca (1942)

Dolorodell (1942)
named after Eugene's daughter

Ensign Moriarty (1945)

Gold Crest (1963)

Hawaiian Sunset (1958)

Mandaleen (1942)
named after Eugene's daughter


Marcella (1952)
named after Eugene's daughter

Mary L. (1949)
named after Eugene's wife

Ramona Lins (1942)
named after Eugene's daughter

Waikiki (1959)

Weatherball 90 (1962)

Several of the Mid-Season Bloomers were on the down side of their bloom time so they didn't look so great, which is a shame. I'll have to be more diligent next year to get photos of them in their prime. Many of the Early Season Bloomers were still going, but I only included Mary L. because she actually looked better this time around.

I think my favorites of this group are Casablanca, Dolorodell, Hawaiian Sunset, Mandaleen, and Marcella. It seems my peony preference tends towards the paler hues that also have subtle accents of color. Weatherball 90 is just a cool name for a peony, but I don't think I caught it in it's prime. I managed to find a picture of it on this website from Germany and it looks entirely different. Maybe it ages to the pinks? Maybe it ages to the white? Maybe the specimens in the Garden really aren't Weatherball 90? I have no idea. I guess that means another trip!

1 comment:

  1. Здравствуйте! Очень интересует пион Weatherball 90. Я живу в Украине. Ищу как выглядит настоящий сорт Weatherball 90. Видела много фото которые подписаны как Weatherball 90, но они все разные. Очень интересует информация по этому сорту: откуда появились саженцы этого сорта в Ваше саду? Хочется отследить историю появления кустов, а почему такое название - Weatherball 90? Давайте свяжемся с Вами. Спасибо заранее!

    ReplyDelete